Having recently graduated, until I get a job, I can't justify squandering my free time. I have no strong ideas for projects, but I do have this half-finished interactive prose piece called Switch that I started about two years ago.

This project is cold in two senses. It is cold because my ideas and circumstances have changed since I last worked on it. My brain isn't wired in such a way that I can work with it fluidly any more. It is also cold because of its starkness and negativity. I envisaged the entire thing as one joyless and hopeless cycle that could run ad infinitum. True to is absurdest (Read: Beckettian) root, all this bleakness would not be delivered without a good measure of humour. Nevertheless, the theme appeals to me less now, since although my immediate future is unlikley to be easy, at least I can be certain of staying in England, and of the possibility of paid work and more education, things which were far from certain two years ago.

What would be more emotionally appropriate to me now would be a traditional narrative in which adversity is eventually overcome. However, this project is what I have. This kind of art is always going to be a product of its maker's life. The project will no doubt change because I have changed. The outcome will be different to what it would have been, had I continued working on it rather than returning to university

The only major piece of news about this project is that I have almost finished the application I'll use to edit my dialogue scripts. I tweaked the code a little this morning and It really does seem to work! Below is a screen-shot of it in action.

While it may be a bit clunky, I came to the conclusion that this was the best way to edit a dialogue graph that didn't always conform to a tree structure. I'll probably write another post outlining the program's features. I may even put the source code and executable up on this website, along with the Unity3d code for the dialogue GUI, so that others can use it.

The content of the game hasn't changed a great deal. While the game was running – I opened a door and drawer on the cupboard, turned on one of the hobs and both taps, and pushed the wheelchair around – to demonstrate the interactivity I had started adding. I still need to add the ability to pick up and hold items, and to use tools.

Despite how awkward it will feel at first, I really do want to get stuck into this project. I've put quite a lot of work into it already, and I would like to see it finished.